Today was 71, sunny and beautiful. I noticed the trees blooming within our back yard and neighborhood as I watched my children play in the sunshine on this gorgeous Spring day. Their squeals of joy and giggles bring more than just a smile to my face. They fill me a happiness money cannot buy! It had me feeling extremely blessed and thankful for the life I live.
I gazed out into our garden beds, knowing soon I would be working in them, alongside my husband and children. It’s a past time we all love to do as a family, digging in the dirt and growing our own produce. It’s one of our family’s passions and one I’m very proud of! Some of my favorite memories growing up include working in my mamaw and papaws garden. Looking back now, I wish I had learned more of their gardening secrets and amazing recipes! We often take time for granted don’t we. Now that I have my own children, I’m definitely trying to pass down some of those family traditions with them. My hope is they will appreciate the hard work that goes into growing your own food and preparing a home cooked meal.
All this thinking about gardening is what lead me to tonight’s dinner, reminding me that soon many of the vegetables in this dish, we’ll grow in our own backyard. Tonight, my oldest helped me prepare dinner by assisting me in chopping the vegetables.
Veggie Lovers Pasta Primavera
This fresh veggie packed pasta dish is a favorite basically year-round in our house. Especially when the bulk of the vegetables comes straight from our organic garden. It’s full of color and has so much fresh flavor. This is a versatile recipe, so you can add whatever vegetables and seasonings as you’d like. I typically serve it with a salad and French bread with dipping sauce. If you’re a meat eater, you could certainly add rotisserie chicken or whatever your heart pleases. Hope you enjoy! Bon Appétit!
Course: Main Course
Keyword: Veggie Lovers Pasta Primavera
Author: Chalese Emert Emertville.com
- 10 dry Barilla Penne Pasta
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 1/2medium red onion, sliced
- 2large carrot, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2cups broccoli florets, cut into smaller pieces
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1/2 cup diced baby bella mushrooms
- 1medium red bell pepper, sliced into matchsticks
- 1medium yellow squash, sliced into quarter portions
- 1medium zucchini, sliced into quarter portions
- 2 tsp.minced garlic cloves
- 1cup grape tomatoes, halved through the length
- 2tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2cup pasta water
- 1 juiced fresh lemon
- 1/2cup shredded parmesan (omit if doing vegan)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne pasta in salted water according to package directions, reserve 1/2 cup pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion and carrot and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, asparagus and bell pepper then sauté 3 minutes.
- Add squash, zucchini and mushrooms, then sauté 2 – 3 minutes or until veggies have nearly softened.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, and Italian seasoning and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Combine the veggies/olive oil with pasta, add in lemon juice, season with salt & pepper as needed and toss while adding in pasta water to loosen as desired.
- Toss in 1/4 cup parmesan and parsley then serve with remaining parmesan on top.