Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich
Give me all the avocados! Those healthy fats are what I looooove and need! I also love that this healthy concoction can be made in just minutes! Wait…A healthy lunch without sacrificing all your time! Yes please!!!
My 5 year old loved to help me smash up the chickpeas and avocados and while my 3 year old constantly asked to lick the spoon ha! My daughter gobbled it up as well. As a mom of three, I love that I get help in the kitchen. It’s quality time we enjoy together and they’re learning to appreciate the love that goes into homemade meals.
This recipe is so easy to make. After you smash the chickpeas and avocados together, simply stir in fresh cilantro, green onion and lime juice then season to taste with salt and pepper. I like to spread this mixture on bread with olive oil mayo then add fresh spinach leaves and arugula.
This avocado and chickpea salad can be used as a dip for veggies or pita chips as well. It is vegetarian, vegan and gluten free! Enjoy and Bon Appétit!!
Course Appetizer or lunch
Prep Time 10 minutes
Author Chalese Emert | Emertville.com
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas (or cook chickpeas in the instapot)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bread of your choice
- Fresh spinach and arugula or other sandwich toppings: mayo, tomato slices, sprouts, etc.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas (or remove from instapot).
- In a medium bowl, using a fork or masher, smash the chickpeas and avocado together. Add in cilantro, green onion, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread mixture on bread and top with your favorite sandwich toppings. I like to add mayo, fresh spinach leaves and arugula.
Note: This salad also makes a great dip. Serve with cut up veggies or pita chips.